It is just as essential to have adequate lighting outside of your house as it is inside. A proper lighting will allow good visibility outside the house during nighttime. However, when the temperature drops, ordinary light bulbs fail to work and may even burst. For this reason, you would need a durable light bulb designed to withstand cold weather.
There are a number of brands that provide high-grade outdoor light bulbs. Although, it can be a cumbersome task to choose one from so many options without sufficient knowledge. To provide some guidance in finding a good outdoor bulb for winters, we have listed the five best outdoor light bulbs for cold weather.
This list is based on the ratings and reviews provided by the buyers of these products. Also, the given article’s buying guide will be very beneficial in finding a light bulb that meets your requirements.
5 Best Outdoor Light Bulbs For Cold Weather Reviews
1. Great Eagle A19 LED Light Bulb, 9W (60W Equivalent), UL Listed, 4000K (Cool White), 750 Lumens, Non-dimmable, Standard Replacement (4 Pack) – Best Overall
These bulbs by Great Eagle have to be in the first place. And the reason behind this is its great performance. With a number of great features, these bulbs work just as advertised. Also, this bulb is UL certified and hence, a good performance is guaranteed.
- Manufacturer: Great Eagle
- Wattage: 9 watts
- Voltage: 60 volts
- Bulb color temperature: 4000 Kelvin
- Luminous Flux: 750 lumen
- Fixture color: cold white
- Material: plastic
- Weight: 6.4 ounces
- Dimension: 4.25 x 2.36 x 2.36 inches
- Other features: 3 years warranty
Great Eagle prioritizes the safety of users before anything. Therefore, it does not make use of elements like lead and mercury. Moreover, it does not have UV rays and uses a glass that does not shatter easily. Thus, making it a UL-listed product. Not just safety, it also excels in durability.
Hence, it can be used both outdoors and indoors. This 9 Watt light bulb produces a light of 750 lumens. The color of light is completely cool white and does not show any tints of blue or yellow.
It is considered a cost-effective and robust alternative for an ordinary 60 Watt bulb. In longevity, this LED surpasses CFL, halogens and incandescents. It is a versatile bulb that can be used in homes as well as industrial areas like schools, museums, etc.
Once switched on, it does not require any warming up and delivers an expected performance immediately. For these reasons and more this is one of the favorites of the customers.
- This is designed to be safe for the environment and for the users.
- It has a much longer life, around 22 years, than CFLs and incandescents.
- It can reduce the operating cost by approximately 85 percent.
- The color is entirely white and without hues of other colors.
- Save up to 85% on your energy bill – Energy efficient 9 watt LED bulbs to replace your 60 watt bulbs for immediate savings now! Long Lasting - 10,000 hours or over 9.1 years. No more light bulb changes.
- Direct Replacement LED bulbs to replace incandescent, halogen, and CFL lamps. 9W LED bulb replaces 60W bulb. 4000K Cool White color
- Instant On - No waiting to warm up like CFL bulbs and High CRI of 83+ means brilliant realistic colors. Operates down to -4 degrees F
- UL Listed - this product has been tested and listed by the Underwriter Laboratories’ meaning it has met their rigorous nationally recognized safety requirements. Warrantied for 3 years.
- Non-Dimmable - General use LED light bulbs for table lamps, floor lamps, desk lamps, recessed housing, can, retrofit, ceiling fan, vanity, bathroom, living room, kitchen, track, and anywhere in home or commercial use.
2. Govee Dusk to Dawn Light Bulb, 9W (70 Watt Equivalent) 800lm Smart Sensor Outdoor LED Light Bulb, E26/E27 Automatic On/Off, Indoor/Outdoor Lighting Bulb for Porch Hallway Garage (Warm White, 2 Packs) – Best Dusk To Dawn Bulbs for Outdoor Lights
With high brightness and superior durability, this is a bulb that is made for both outdoor and indoor use. It is a 9 Watt light bulb capable of providing the performance equal to a conventional 70 Watt bulb. Also, it has a hassle-free installation process.
- Manufacturer: Govee
- Wattage: 9 watts
- Voltage: 110 volts
- Bulb color temperature: 2700 Kelvin
- Luminous Flux: 800 lumen
- Fixture color: warm white
- Material: plastic
- Weight: 4.2 ounces
- Dimension: 5 x 2.5 x 4.9 inches
This is a pack of two outdoor bulbs that can be used in a variety of places like garages, courtyard, porches, etc. Made using the latest technology, the bulbs do not flicker and have no glare. With the automatic on/off feature, the light bulbs are automatically switched on when night time comes and switch off again during daylight. These are the perfect replacements for 70 Watt light bulbs and will reduce the bill by 90 percent.
It is a bulb that can fit in any E26 or E27 socket. The installation is kept trouble-free for the customers. Made using PC material, the heat dissipation is good. The warm white color is bright and provides adequate visibility outdoors. Its durability is high so that it can last in even the roughest weather. With the above features and more, it is considered as one of the best light bulbs for outside.
- The automatic on/off feature, so you do not need to switch them on or off manually when required.
- Its dependability is more to make sure it does not fail in the changing conditions of weather.
- They are pretty easy to install.
- Much more energy-efficient and hence, cost-saving than a 70 Watt light bulb.
- Auto On/Off LED Bulb: Built-in smart photocell, light sensor control, automatically turn on at night (＜15Lux), turn off in daytime (＞35Lux ). Illuminating a bright night for you.
- Energy Saving: 9W equivalent to 70W traditional light bulb, providing 800lm saving 90% energy, same enjoyment, sharply decrease your electricity costs.
- Longer Lifetime: Govee light bulb provides 30,000 hours lifetime, made of PC material , meet the LED chip unique cool requirements. It can solve the hassle of frequent bulb replacement.
- Widely Application: Adopted latest LED technology, no glare, no flicker, perfect for porch, garage, courtyard, hotel, offices, hospital, schools, factories, museum, shopping malls, supermarkets, restaurants or any other places where accent lighting is required.
- Easy to install: Simply screw into any standard E26/27 light socket or fixture, no wires or additional motion detection fixtures required.
3. LEDVANCE 74765 A19 Efficient 8.5W Soft White 2700K 60W Equivalent A29 LED Light Bulb (24 Pack), 10 yr, 24 Count – Best Durability
Packed with a number of features, this is an outdoor light bulb that guarantees outstanding performance. With a great performance, it is also quite durable.
So, if you are looking for a light bulb that can withstand freezing temperatures, it is probably one of the best led light bulbs for outdoor fixtures.
- Manufacturer: Sylvania
- Wattage: 8.5 watts
- Voltage: 120 volts
- Bulb color temperature: 2700 Kelvin
- Luminous Flux: 800 lumen
- Fixture color: soft white
- Material: glass
- Weight: 2.5 ounces
- Dimension: 2.4 x 2.4 x 4.5 inches
- Other features: 30 days warranty
These bulbs by Sylvania offer a brightness of 800 lumens. They are considered an ideal replacement for 60 Watt incandescent A19 bulbs. Colors like red, green, and blue look brighter and precise in their light.
Also, these are much more energy-saving than many other LEDs. This pack of 24 bulbs can be used in a variety of places, including living rooms, dining rooms, and more.
The soft white color of this LED resembles natural light. With no mercury, they are good for the environment. These cost-effective LEDs do not emit any UV rays, which saves the clothing materials from fading. Furthermore, with high-grade materials, it is pretty durable and can last up to 10 years. It is shattered and vibration resistant.
- The most impressive feature of these bulbs is their low operating costs and environment-friendly design.
- Unlike other CFLs, it does not produce light with UV rays.
- Build from highly durable materials for longer life.
- Provide better color accuracy, especially of red, blue, and green color.
- GREAT VALUE - 10 year 24 LED bulbs with 800 lumens of light output at only 8.5 watts. Replace your old incandescent bulbs for a brighter and more energy-friendly home.
- LONG-LASTING – These bulbs are a great energy-saving replacement for old incandescent bulbs because they have a total lifespan of up to 11,000 hours. You won't need to constantly change your light bulbs anymore.
- ENERGY-SAVING – These LED light bulbs require less energy and can save you up to 85% on your energy bill. Each soft white bulb works as a great replacement for an old 60W incandescent bulb.
- NO WARM-UP TIME – These A19 bulbs have no warm-up time. When you flip the switch, they light up instantly with a full 800 lumens of brightness and a stable soft white color.
- SAFE FOR HOME USE – These non-toxic bulbs are mercury and lead free. They also produce no harmful ultraviolet or infrared radiation.
4. SANSI 18W (150 Watt Equivalent) LED Light Bulbs, A21 LED Bulbs, 2000 Lumens Light Bulbs, 5000K Daylight LED, E26 Base, Non-Dimmable, Bright led bulbs, 4-Pack – Best Waterproof
With brilliant features such as non-flickering light, noise-free operation and much more, this LED bulb has a performance like no other. The brightness is high.
Moreover, it is made to last. Hence, you do not have to stand out in the cold weather to replace the bulbs now and then.
- Manufacturer: Sansi
- Wattage: 18 watts
- Voltage: 110 volts
- Bulb color temperature: 5000 Kelvin
- Luminous Flux: 2000 lumen
- Fixture color: White
- Material: Ceramic and plastic
- Weight: 2 pounds
- Dimension: 3.03 x 3.03 x 4.6 inches
- Other features: 22.8 years of life
No matter what the weather conditions are, these light bulbs will come out glowing even in the toughest conditions. It is due to the reason, and it is resistant against corrosion, water, high temperature and pressure.
Also, with an efficient heat dissipations property, it can deliver its best performance. With its three core technology which includes lens, chips and ceramics, it is able to provide consistent performance for a long duration.
At 110 Volts, this emits bright light of 2000 lumen, which can light up and restore the original color of the room. It is A21, but it can be used in the place of E26 incandescent bulbs. It can be easily used in floor lamps, bare lamps, and table lamps. Moreover, it is designed in a way to take as less energy as possible to operate.
- The ceramic it uses protects it against corrosion, water, heat, and more to ensure high reliability.
- It does not emit UV or IR radiation and does not use mercury.
- It has a design that ensures proper heat dissipation for better performance.
- These bulbs deliver the same performance as an ordinary 150 Watt bulb.
- Perfect Replacement of 150W --- Daylight comfortable glow 5000K and very bright light output 2000lm, works as a great replacement of 150W traditional incandescent bulbs.
- Easy Installation --- Non-Dimmable, standard A21 shape with E26 medium screw base fit in applications where the ordinary E26 incandescent or CFL lights bulb is used.
- Save Your Money & Energy Saving --- With long lifetime 22.8 years (with 3 hours/day), you don't need to change your light bulbs anymore.
- Safety for Your Application --- This LED lights do not overheat or emit harmful components (no UV&IR, no toxic mercury&lead). You can safely install them in ceiling light fixture, pendant fixture, floor lamps, table lamps and bare lamp sockets.
- Certified Quality--SANSI bulbs are crafted to meet international safety and reliability standards. With our 5-year warranty and 30-day-no-question-asked policy, you can sure buy with confidence.
5. 10 Pack Bioluz LED GU10 LED Bulbs Dimmable 3000K 50W Halogen Replacement 120v UL Listed (Pack of 10) – Most Easy To Install
Coming in a pack of 10, these bulbs by Bioluz may be at last but are better than many other light bulbs available in the market. This is a UL-listed and RoHS-certified bulb.
Hence, one can invest in this product without hesitation. If you are looking forward to replacing halogens at your place, then this is the product you should use.
- Manufacturer: Bioluz LED
- Wattage: 50 watts
- Voltage: 120 volts
- Bulb color temperature: 3000 Kelvin
- Luminous Flux: 350 lumen
- Fixture color: Halogen appearance
- Material: Aluminium
- Weight: 1.5 pounds
- Dimension: 2.17 x 1.97 x 1.97 inches
- Other features: 5 year warranty
These LEDs look very identical to halogens in appearance and light emission. However, they do not have any drawbacks that people normally encounter in halogens. For instance, this does not require any warm-up time and works immediately.
Also, it is very durable. This 50 Watts bulb produces a warm light that is neither too white nor too yellow. To make it fit for the environment, it does not contain any mercury. With a beam angle of 40 degrees, it is easy to install.
It has an aluminum base to maximize heat dissipation so that more energy is invested in producing light rather than heat. This comes in a pack of 10 and can be installed in both dimmable and non-dimmable fixtures. The lifespan it provides is 25000 hours. The operating cost decreases with these LED bulbs. Also, they are built from premium quality products.
- This is a LED that is very similar to halogens in terms of light but is much more durable and cost-effective than the latter.
- The base is made completely out of aluminum to ensure proper heat removal.
- Manufactured using superior quality materials.
- It is extremely easy to install in dimmable and non-dimmable sockets.
This is one of the most crucial sections of this article. A buying guide covers the factors which are to be kept in mind when looking for the best bulbs for outdoor lighting for cold weather. It is vital as it assists you in finding a product which is according to your requirements.
Make sure that the quality of light that a light bulb produces is good and continuous. Flickering is a common problem that occurs in light bulbs after some time of use. You can refer to the customer feedback section to double-check that there are no flickering issues. Also, check how far is the range of light.
2. Energy Consumption
LEDs consume much less energy than halogens, IFL, and incandescents. Hence, they can remarkably reduce the electricity bills up to 85 percent or more. Check that you are getting a light bulb that is not only durable but also helps you cut down expenses.
It is no brainer that if you are looking for an outdoor bulb, especially for winters, then it should be highly robust. Without adequate durability, it will not be able to survive the tough weather.
An outdoor bulb should have properties like good heat dissipation, water resistance, protection against corrosion, and more. Only if you find these features in a lightbulb, you should consider buying it.
Ensure you check what is the lifespan of the light bulb you are selecting. Obviously, a durable and high-grade light bulb will have a longer life. So, durability and quality should be your first priority. Furthermore, a long-lasting light bulb will prove to be a good investment of your money.
It is important to check whether the brightness of the bulb you are buying is as per your demands or not. The brightness of a bulb is measured in lumens. Check the specifications to find its brightness. A greater brightness implies better visibility and a good ambiance.
6. Dusk To Dawn Feature
Dusk to Dawn feature indicates the auto on/off feature, which uses a light sensor. This sensor switches on or off the bulb according to the surrounding lighting. For example, if the surroundings are dark, then the light bulb will switch on automatically, and as the surrounding gets brighter, it switches off.
Whether or not you should get a light bulb with this feature depends entirely on you. If you are someone who would not want to go out in the cold, just to turn on the lights then you can buy dusk to dawn outdoor light bulbs.
Remember to check the installation type at your place and find a bulb that is compatible with it. For example, if your socket type is E27, then check that the bulb can fit in an E27 socket. Moreover, there are also bulbs that can fit both E27 and E26 sockets.
There are a bunch of expensive outdoor light bulbs for cold weather, which deliver outstanding performance. However, buying any expensive product will not be beneficial. Also, there are many brands whose products offer equally good performance at a much affordable price.
Hence, it is necessary that one does sufficient research to find a product at the best price. First off you should be clear about what features you need in your light bulb. Comparing different brands and their performance will provide a clear idea of what products will offer great value for money.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Why are LED lights recommended for outdoor use?
A1. Normally, people use CFL or other types of bulbs indoors and outdoors. However, these types of bulbs are required to attain a certain temperature to start emitting light. Therefore, some ordinary bulbs may even fail to work at very cold temperatures. Also, their durability is just average and consumes more energy.
LEDs, on the other hand, do not require much heat to start. Also, while working, they are quick to dissipate the heat produced and hence, increasing their efficiency. They have higher durability compared to CFL, incandescent, and halogens. Moreover, their lifespan is longer. Due to the following reasons, it is recommended to be used outdoors.
Q2. What are the different types of bulbs?
A2. There are four kinds of bulb LEDs, CFLs, incandescents, and halogens. LEDs are the most durable and energy-efficient of the four. They are costlier than the others but also last the longest. Due to their high durability, they are great for outdoors. Also, they are more environment friendly as they do not use mercury or lead.
CFLs stands for Compact Fluorescent, and these are recommended for large areas. However, they need some time to warm up and achieve maximum brightness. Compared to LEDs, these cost less but also not as durable. Furthermore, these have mercury which can be harmful if not handled with care. Incandescent are the most commonly used bulbs because their cost is much less than the others. But they fall behind CFLs and LEDs in terms of longevity.
Halogens produce a strong white light. Unlike incandescent, these are energy-efficient. The major drawback of halogens is that they have a very short lifespan. They produce a lot of heat which is not dissipated efficiently, which is the major reason behind its short life. Due to this reason, they cannot last in the cold weather.
Q3. How are dimmable and non-dimmable LEDs different from each other?
A3. Dimmable LEDs are the ones whose brightness can be adjusted. In a dimmable bulb, the brightness varies from min to max. If you are someone who constantly needs to change the brightness for different tasks such as when you are reading or working, the brightness can be high, or when you are taking a break and relaxing, the brightness can be decreased, then dimmable LEDs might be beneficial for you.
Conversely, a non-dimmable LED is the kind whose brightness cannot be adjusted. One should not try changing the brightness of a non-dimmable bulb as it might get damaged. Trying to dim a non-dimmable using a dimmable system will result in flickering, buzzing noise, and possibly a bulb failure. Also, a dimmable bulb can be used in both dimmable and non-dimmable systems, while a non-dimmable bulb should not be used with a dimmable system.
Having a proper lighting system outside your house is very important. However, it can be hard to find a product that can last in cold weather. Fortunately, with a little guidance and proper knowledge, you can find a robust and vibrant light bulb.
A good LED bulb is not only going to last but will also reduce the electricity bills by decreasing energy consumption. We hope that the information in this article was valuable for you and helps you find the best outdoor light bulbs for cold weather which fit your requirements.